About Scheduling a Private Instruction
This is Lesson 1 of our home cidermaking lesson plan. Our private instruction lesson plans are instruction only. They do not include beverage/food production on site or any beverage/food handling.
Basics of Cider Styles, Key Components, Tasting, and Testing
Approximate lesson time: 40-60 minutes
This Lesson 1 Plan Includes:
- Ciders may optionally be brought by the student or instructor
- Key Compenents in Cider – a handout with discussion
- Lab Testing Basics – what can you test at home, what should be tested at a lab
- Demonstrate: hydrometer reading, acid test
- Tasting: addition of acid, addition of bicarbonate, addition of tannin.
- Discussion of the different old world and new world cider styles.
- Assign reading for next lesson: New World Cider Step-by-Step, and The New Cider Makers Handbook