About Scheduling a Private Instruction
This is Lesson 5 of our homebrewing lesson plan. Our private instruction lesson plans are instruction only. They do not include beverage/food production on site or any beverage/food handling.
The World of Brewing Yeast
Approximate lesson time: 40-60 minutes
This Lesson 5 Plan Includes:
- Yeast lifecycle and timeline
- Brewing yeast health and nutrition - how is it achieved?
- Discussion of poor yeast health, common flavor flaws and other problems
- Ale yeast versus lager yeast
- Making lagers and the lagering process
- Yeast selection methods - the major selection factors
- Making starters and Re-using yeast
- Assigned reading: Yeast, A Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
- Brewing assignment: Brew first lager or strong beer