Winemaking Articles and Info > Wine Article: Winemaking Step By Step
For most beginners, the hardest thing about making wine
is simply figuring out, in advance, what equipment is going
to be needed. This list should set most of these fears to
You will need the following:
- Siphon Hose and Racking Tube
- Hydrometer (Saccharometer) and Test Jar
- Acid Testing Kit
- Sulfite Test Kit
- Crusher or Stemmer/Crusher
- Pressing Bag (optional)
- Bottle Filler
- Small Bucket
Wine ingredient kits come with easy to follow instructions
and premeasured ingredients, as you move on to grapes, you
will need to familiarize yourself with additional equipment
and instructions. Read on to see how easy grape winemaking
For every 75 lbs. of grapes:
- 10 Gallon Food grade Bucket and Lid
- One 5 gallon glass carboy (water bottle) with a fermentation
lock and a #6 1/2 or #7 drilled rubber stopper.
- Extra glass jugs, each with a fermentation lock and
#6 drilled rubber stopper. These could be gallon size
- Twenty-five wine corks.
- Two cases wine bottles.
- Wine Yeast, (1 gram) per gallon of must or juice.
- Grapes, (16 lbs.) per gallon of wine.
- Tartaric Acid as needed.
- Sulfite as needed.
- Yeast Food (5 grams per 100 lbs.)
- Fining Agent, such as Sparkolloid.
- ML Starter for some wines.
Read more about making red wine
or making white wine.
If you like our content, please share the love.